Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hey, Mom! What's for dinner?

What's on your plate for this evening? 

One way I, Sister C, have been able to keep us from eating out so much (aka, spending extra moola I'd rather put towards saving for a trip back to Indiana) is by having a weekly menu.  Many of my friends actually have a detailed list they put together for each week, biweeks or monthly menus.  For us, I do this...


So, I do more generic lists.  So, for example on Wednesday nights it's "Pasta" - which could be spaghetti, lasagna, our even just chicken noodle soup.  But it gives me a category to work from.  Before I did this, I HATED to sit and figure out what to make for dinner, sometimes to the point I'd just forget about it and run uptown and grab something - in turn spending WAY more than I should on dinner. 

Saturday's is "Garbage Day" - which is eat whatever is leftover before it needs to be thrown away.  :o) 

Also, if you are stuck on what to make and don't want to cave and get take out - I highly recommend Supercook!  It has saved me many times from running for take out food!  Just type in the ingredients you have in your house, and it will give you a list of recipes to make with that!  It has entrees, desserts, starters.  It's fantastic!  There's even a section for "exclusions" - so if you're allergic to eggs, you can type that in the exclusions category and it will find recipes that don't require eggs to make!  LOVE IT! 

This schedule also helps with curbing the kids from saying, "I don't want to have this!"  I just point at the schedule and tell them, "This is what it says we are having today, so this is what we are eating."  End of discussion (usually).  And since I work over the lunch hour, it helps Dad to know what to make for lunch for the kids.  Since guys work well off of lists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment