Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's for Dinner? Southwest Black Bean Salad

This is a good recipe that my friend Ashley gave me for Day 3 of my raw food cleanse.  On day 3, I only had to eat raw food until dinner.  I altered the original recipe she gave me because I was significantly under my calorie budget tonight.  I'm putting the items I added in red so you can see how I made it, in addition to the original, lower calorie version.



Southwest Black Bean Salad

1 Cup Spinach, fresh
1/2 Cup Black Beans, canned
1/2 Cup Whole Kernel Corn, canned
2 Small Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 Cup Tomato Salsa  (I realized mid-prep that I didn't have salsa and substituted a light House Italian dressing, but only used about 2 Tbsp.)
1/4 Avocado, sliced
8 Grape Tomatoes, halved
4 Small Corn Tortillas

1)  Combine greens with corn and mushrooms.
2)  Toss with the tomato salsa.
3)  Add black beans to the top of the salad and serve.
3)  In my version, I added the beans to the greens.
4)  In my version, I scooped the salad onto 2 warmed corn tortillas and topped with avocado and tomato.

The original recipe was only 271 calories for the entire salad.  My altered version was significantly higher, at 671 calories. 

If you have a favorite recipe, we'd love to have you share it on the Facebook page.  Just look under the Discussions Tab.  Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment