Monday, July 18, 2011

What's In Your Grocery Cart This Week?

Sister K ran to Cub and Hy-Vee after work today to pick up a few good deals. 

Since I started couponing in January, I have completely changed how I buy groceries.  Instead of buying what I need THIS week, I buy what I know we will use in the FUTURE when it's on sale.  I make a list and stick to it, figuring out exactly how much I will be spending before I ever leave home.  No more check out lane anxiety for me as I wait to see my total.  This week, I mis-calculated my total at Cub, but it worked out okay because I got some bonus catalina coupons I wasn't expecting and I used them to lower my Hy-Vee total.  I didn't take photos, but thought I would share my shopping list for the week.  I'd love to hear what was in your cart this week and any great or unexpected deals you came across.

Cub List:
(2) Go-Gurt on sale with Cub Coupon Book for $1.88, used $0.75/1 MQ = $3.01
(2) Fresh Express Salad with Cub B1G1 coupon = $2.99 for 2
(2) Grape Tomatoes with Cub B1G1 coupon = $2.99 for 2 packages
(1) Frigo Natural String Cheese on sale for $3.49 (no coupon, but makes a healthy and filling low calorie snack)
(4) Honey Nut Cheerios on sale 4/$10, used 2 $0.55/1 & 2 $0.50/1 coupons = $7.90**  this deal was better than it appears because I got 1 gallon of free milk and a $2 catalina when I checked out and it will make my kids very happy as they have been asking for this specific ceraeal for 3 weeks.
(4) Nature Valley Granola Thins on sale 4/$10, used 3 $0.75/1 & 1 $0.50/1 coupons = $7.25**  this deal also generated free milk and a $2.00 catalina - yeah!  Plus, these are really yummy treats I can substitute for candy or junk when I need a snack at work and they are only 80-90 calories each.
(2) Cub 1 gallon milk, FREE with catalina above - rang them up in a second transaction to use coupons.
(2) 20 oz Chicken Breast on sale B1G1 with Cub coupon, used 2 $1/1 printable coupons = $4.99 for 2 packages.
(1) Cub Whole Grain Bread = $2.09.  I really need to get to the bread store to save $$ on bread.  I just can't seem to get there.....

My total was $34.72 and I saved $23.91.  I also got a total of $9.00 (not sure what they were all for) in catalinas which I took to Hy-Vee........

Hy-Vee List:
(1) 1 dozen eggs = $1.51
(1) Portobello Mushroooms 8 oz sliced = $1.88
(2) Hy-Vee frozen Ravioli = $2.99 each
(1) Hy-Vee Raw Almonds = $3.49 for 8 oz.
(1) Hy-Vee Ketchup = $0.69
(1) Post Waffle Crisp Cereal = $1.68 - complete impulse buy because I miss the kids while they are on vacation with grandparents.
(4) Hy-Vee yogurt = $1.20
(4) Green apples = $1.73

I used all the Cub catalinas at check out, which brought my total down to just $7.36.  I saved $11.00.

Combined with what's in my kitchen cupboards, these few groceries will provide us with 5 dinners, 10 lunches each for Scott and I at work, and 5 days of lunch and snacks for the kids.  6 months ago, I never would have believed it was possible to feed my family for as little as $42 a week.   Now, I wonder how I could ever have spent $100 a week and still run out of food by Thursday.....

What's in your Grocery Cart this Week?  How have coupons changed the way you shop?

No comments:

Post a Comment