Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Kitchen Fun

We aren't the biggest fans of Halloween, but the kids get so excited, so I usually make cupcakes with ghosts on them.  It's really easy...

I added red and yellow food coloring to a cake mix to make the cupcakes orange.  I used a mini muffin pan because I didn't have enough time to make two batches of regular sized cupcakes.  These took approx 9 minutes in the oven :D

For the frosting, I made up my own recipe, and since I don't usually measure, I can't give you exact amounts :D

I did use one stick of softened butter, and I used a fork to cream it.  Then I mixed in some powdered sugar, maybe 2 cups worth???  Added about a teaspoon of almond extract and a capful of milk - a tablespoonish of milk.  Then I taste tested it -  if it tastes good, leave it.  If it tastes too buttery, then add more powdered sugar. :D 

I grabbed a ziplock baggie and cut a small hole in the corner of it.  You could put in one of those plastic end pieces you'd put in frosting bags when you will be attaching a decorating tip, it will help prevent the baggie from tearing.  Then I just made blobs of frosting on top of the mini cupcakes. 

For the eyes - and hair for the ghosts Eve made into girls - I gave the kids a toothpick to dip into Hershey's chocolate syrup.  I didn't know I had any of this, so if I didn't find any in the 'frig I was ready to just mix an itty bitty bit of milk and cocoa powder.  Mini chocolate chips were my first choice, but Hubby got into them and I found the bag in the garbage.  *shaking my head*

What fun treats and projects are you doing with your kiddos this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment