Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thrifty Thursday

I took the kids to McDonald's the other day between volleyball and Meet the Critters.  McDonald's?  Thrifty Thursday?  Wondering if I'm writing on the wrong topic?  Nope.  Today I wanted to point out that "extra value meals" are not always the wisest choice.

Before I start, I'm inserting this paragraph to tell you that yes, I know that eating at home or packing a cold lunch would be even cheaper.  I also know that milk and apples are much healthier than fries and soda.  My point today is not about health.  For us, this was a treat, an indulgence if you want to look at it that way.  Now that I have that out of the way.....

I took the kids to McDonald's on the way between activities.  All 4 of us ate for $14.  It would have been $12, but I let the oldest have chicken nuggets because she does not eat burgers and I wanted her to eat.  We did not get even one single "extra value" meal.  Getting the mighty kids nugget meal might have saved us $1, but would not have been worth the ensuing "it's not fair" commentary that would follow.  Instead, we ordered off the value menu, and spent an average of $3 per person.  In the past we would have ordered 3 mighty kids meals plus one extra value meal and spent closer to $20.

So, what's the point?  Make sure that when you choose to go out to eat that you actually take the time to look at the menu.  "Extra value meals" aren't always the best value for your dollar.  Do you have a money saving trick or tips that you use when dining out?

No comments:

Post a Comment